Fall in Love with Richmond, VA | Fall Activities
November 6, 2023
It’s the season where Richmond, VA truly comes to life: Fall! From the beautiful fall foliage to the endless pumpkin patches, festivals and events, and activities for the entire family — there’s plenty to fill your calendar this Autumn. Here are some of Richmond’s most popular Fall activities to add to your schedule:
Virginia Wine Month
Virginia Wine Country celebrates the fall season by raising a glass to celebrate harvest during Virginia Wine Month. Throughout October, head to your favorite wineries to join in the celebration. Check out some of our favorite wineries near RVA:
- Upper Shirley Vineyards is located above one of the most beautiful bends on the James River and is surrounded by history. The vineyard offers a unique experience to visitors by providing them with the best of Virginia - culinary delights, award-winning wine and events that they will cherish for a lifetime.
- James River Cellars Winery aims to create a Virginia winery experience that is different from the ordinary. It's a perfect blend of urban convenience and quaint rural appeal. Visitors can stop by and enjoy a picnic on the beautifully landscaped patio or capture the view from the terrace.
If you want to escape RVA for the weekend to celebrate Wine Month, head to Charlottesville and visit any of the 40 popular wineries along the Monticello Wine Trail.
Fall Foliage Across RVA
Richmond boasts several vantage points that offer stunning views of the city, thanks to its hilly terrain and wide river. These hidden gems are arguably some of the city's best-kept secrets. To catch the stunning fall foliage at its peak, be sure to visit any of these spots:
- Chimborazo Park: Chimborazo Park sports a beautiful roundhouse and a gazebo, adding an architectural element to this stunning view. Want some history with the view? The Chimborazo Medical Museum tells the story of medicine during the Civil War.
- Oregon Hill Overlook: Oregon Hill Overlook will give your favorite sunset spot a run for its money. Watch the river flow past from up high and imagine the landscape as it was before a city was born. Then head over the bridge to Belle Isle for an experience that’s a little closer to the river.
- James River Bridge: If you’re feeling brave, take the sidewalk along the east side of the James River Bridge (formerly the Robert E. Lee Bridge) for a scenic walk over the river. From train tracks to tree-covered hills, from the mighty James to downtown RVA, this bridge gives you the best of all of Richmond.
- Floodwall Walk: Stroll along this half-mile-or-so-long path as you gaze over the river at downtown Richmond.
Enjoy RVA's Best Fall Beverages
With over three dozen craft breweries, cideries, distilleries, and other beverage makers in the Richmond Region, you will find plenty of fall beverages to keep you interested throughout the season. From Hardywood's famous Gingerbread Stout to Ardent's Maple Chestnut Altbier, from Buskey Cider's Earl Grey Lemon Ginger to Blue Bee Cider's numerous seasonal blends, the variety is seemingly endless.
The best part is that most of Richmond's most popular breweries are located in the heart of Scott's Addition, which is also home to StyleCraft's Mason Yards and The Outpost at Brewers Row. While you're tasting your fall beverage, be sure to swing by our communities to picture your future in Scott's Addition.
Hit the Pumpkin Patch with the Family
Nothing screams fall like a Pumpkin Patch — and there are plenty to choose from throughout the Greater Richmond area. Some of the most popular spots include:
- Lloyd Family Farms, Rockville
- Skinquarter Farm Market, Moseley
- Chesterfield Berry Farm, Chesterfield
- Hanover Vegetable Farm, Hanover
- Gallmeyer Farm, Varina
Enjoy Garden Glow at Maymont
Maymont's Garden Glow event is celebrating its sixth year and has quickly become a fall tradition. This magical experience takes place every Wednesday through Sunday, starting around sunset. The beautiful historic architecture and gardens are dramatically lit up, creating a mesmerizing ambiance for visitors of all ages to enjoy. As the night progresses, the Carriage House Lawn transforms into a whimsical Glow Village, featuring a glow bar, cozy fire pits, food trucks, and immersive art installations. This year, the event boasts an expanded pathway through the gardens, with new lighting effects and festive glow lounges along the way. Bring your loved ones along for an unforgettable night out!
No matter which activities you choose to enjoy throughout the fall season — we hope your
Autumn Lives Up beyond compare!